Food Fraud Annual Update Workshop – June 20-21, 2024
DATES: June 20-21, 2024 (1.5 days)
TIMES (ET zone/New York time): ▪️Day 1: 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. ▪️Day 2: 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Brody Square on the Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, Michigan
INSTRUCTOR: Dr. John W. Spink, PhD
ATTENDEES: Brand Owners: employees/staff of companies that produce or sell a food product
SUMMARY: A one-stop activity to complete the annual compliance requirement to update your Food Fraud Prevention Strategy. This workshop is an update of trends and best practices, as well as a way to set your annual action plan.
- Compliance: Meet the Food Safety Management System compliance requirements for an annual update and review of your Food Fraud Prevention Strategy.
- For the attendee, this workshop expands on other courses to present the latest trends and insights for specifically managing a Food Fraud Prevention Strategy.
- For the company, this will assure that your enterprise is getting the best insight and is aware of the latest management trends, which enables the implementation of an optimal strategy.
- Upon completion, students usually meet the GFSI compliance requirements for an annual strategic review. This workshop examines emerging trends and how to apply the latest management innovations to update the current FFPS plans and to set the action items for the coming year. A fill-in-the-blanks template is provided, and if you follow along then at the end of the session when you press “save” you will have a draft of an updated Food Fraud Prevention Strategy.
- Attendees receive a Certificate of Completion.
- This workshop was created to meet the compliance requirements for an ‘annual update’ of the Food Fraud Prevention Strategy. This course includes insights from our food fraud annual update survey. The workshop content is based on research, publications, and public engagement on the food fraud strategy and policy. This deliverable is a “one-stop” annual update.
- Recommended attendees include employees who are accountable for the compliance requirement for the food fraud prevention annual update – this has been a successful team activity with multiple attendees from the same enterprise.
- LESSON 1 (Day 1, half day a.m.):
- Introduction to the Food Fraud Annual Update (FFAU) template
- Latest compliance updates
- Review of compliance draft documents
- Laws & Regulations (E.g., FD&C Act, FSMA, Sarbanes-Oxley, Federal Anti-Tampering Act, etc.)
- Standards & Certifications include: GFSI, Organic Trade Association, Codex, ISO 22000 Food Safety, ISO 22300 Product Authenticity, ISO 9000 Quality Management, ISO 31000 Risk Management
- Review the latest literature and management best practices
- LUNCH and OPEN DISCUSSION
- LESSON 2 (Day 1, half day p.m.):
- Incident Review/ Data Collection
- Information Processing/ Intelligence Analysis
- FFVA Risk Analysis Best Practices
- FFVA Tools, Models, and Resources
- FFPS Refinement and Optimization
- LESSON 3 (Day 2, half day a.m.):
- FFPS Management System Coordination (e.g., Food Fraud Prevention Cycle -FFPC)
- Completion of the Food Fraud Annual Update Template
- LUNCH and OPEN DISCUSSION