Food Fraud Prevention Overview Seminar: July 24, 2023
DATES: July 24, 2023 (1 day)
TIMES (ET): 8:30am – 5:30pm
LOCATION: Brody Square on the Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, Michigan
INSTRUCTOR: Dr. John W. Spink, PhD
ATTENDEES: Brand Owners*
*Brand Owners are companies that produce or sell a food product.
- Compliance: Meet the Food Safety Management System compliance requirements for training and competency at “an appropriate level of knowledge.”
- Expand capability-building of the attendee in the basic food fraud prevention concepts.
- Expand capacity-building of the enterprise through training more employees in core food fraud prevention skills.
- Upon completion, attendees will have a clear understanding of the broad food fraud vulnerabilities, compliance requirements, and prevention strategies from an interdisciplinary perspective (e.g., criminology, supply chain management, food compliance, enterprise risk management, food science/ food authenticity, supply chain management, and management strategy).
- Attendees receive a Certificate of Completion.
- This is a broad introduction to the entire food fraud topic, from an overview of the critical compliance requirements to the detailed management activities. The focus is on the Global Food Safety Initiative-related (GFSI) benchmark for Food Safety Management Systems (E.g., FSSC22000, SQF, BRC, IFS, and others). This also considers other laws, regulations, standards, and certifications.
- Recommended attendees include employees who are recently assigned to the food fraud prevention group, or experienced employees wanting a refresher of the overarching concepts.
LESSON 1 (Day 1, half day):
- Introduction and Overview of the Food Fraud Concept
- Food Fraud Prevention
- Compliance Requirements
- Criminology and Behavioral Sciences
- Enterprise Risk Management (ERM/ COSO)
LESSON 2 (Day 1, half day):
- Supply Chain Management & Procurement
- Consumer Behavior and Brand Equity
- Vulnerability Assessment and Critical Control Point Plan (VACCP)
- Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment (FFVA) overview
- Food Fraud Prevention Strategy (FFPS) overview
- Process steps to create, implement, and manage the strategy